The National Museum is a research institution under the Ministry of Culture. It has the same status and demands of research as other sector research institutes. The framework of the research carried out by The National Museum is presented in the Act on Museums from 2001 and in the Act on research at archives, libraries, museums etc. from 1996.
The National Museum is Denmark’s main museum of cultural history which obligates the museum to carry out and promote research within the museum’s main areas in a national and international setting.
The research activities of the museum are founded in collections in and outside of the museum, in the antiquarian work, in archives, libraries and other sources that can shed light on given subjects. With this background the museum’s research contributes to the understanding of relations between society and social development, culture and cultural identity, and the interaction between man and nature. The museum carries out research into these areas to further understanding of cultural heritage.
The museum promotes its research achievements to both the general public and to research environments.
- is one of the main conclusions on the research of The National Museum stated by an international evaluation panel of highly qualified scholars from Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands and Belgium. Their conclusions can be read in a report that spans the years from 1995-2004. The evaluation was carried out in 2005.
- that The National Museum carries out research of high quality
- that the research of The National Museum in some areas is world-class
- that The National Museum is widely recognised as an attractive collaboration partner for researchers within the field in Denmark as well as worldwide
- that the research of The National Museum is a starting point for a highly profiled interpretation, e.g. in exhibitions, education and publications
- that the research carried out by the National Museum is decisive and highly relevant for the Museum's successful fulfillment of its obligations in collection, registration, conservation and dissemination of information.
The collected results of the evaluation can be found in the report 'Evaluation of the research of the National Museum in Denmark 1995-2004'.